Saturday, August 16, 2014

Gold for Meraf Bahta in EM – Swedish Radio

After a real sprint finals took Meraf Bahta Sweden’s first gold medal in the 5000 meters at the European Athletics Championships.

– I am very excited and happy and very proud, says the expectant Championships gold medalist.

25-year-old Meraf Bahta was in the lead during the final lap of the final at 5000 meters. When the bell rang and it was 400 meters left to run, she increased the tempo. But it also made the Dutch Sifan Hassan. Hassan, who won over Abeba Aregawi at 1500 meters, went up in the back of Bahta with 200 meters left of the race.

The audience stood up and cheers rose at Letzigrund Stadium when the two runners entered the final stretch. With 80 meters left was Sifan Hassan up alongside Swedish, but Bahta stretched out the steps, was stronger than the Dutch and tweaked Sweden’s first gold in this Championship.

– It was easy for me in the sprint, I have prepared me very well and had full control. I felt refreshed when she (Sifan Hassan) came up beside me, so I just continued to run fast, says Meraf Bahta.

time of Bahta was 15: 31.39. Sifan Hassan finished in 15: 31.79. The bronze went to Dutch Susan Kuijken.

LikeTweet

No comments:

Post a Comment