Sunday, August 17, 2014

‘Scandal-runner’ won after mass crash – Aftonbladet

Zurich / Stockholm. The scandalous Frenchman Mahiedine Mekhissi-Benabbad took European Championship gold in 1500 meters for great drama in the finale.

No fewer than four runners were counted off in the final stages after a mass crash and when Mekhissi-Benabbad crossed the finish both jublades and booed it around the stadium.

The Frenchman Mahiedine Mekhissi-Benabbad took European Championship gold in 1500 meters in the men’s final in Zurich.

On Friday, he was greatly circumscribed when he, who was the superior winner in the 3000 meter steeplechase, disqualified after he pulled off her tank top at the finish.

Today, however, he had the jersey all the way to the finish and finally took his gold.

“Extraordinary”

– I really believed in myself and I am so happy that I could win this way. I feel better now but is still disappointed, I could have stood for a historic double. But I accept disqualification and looking ahead now, says gold medalist told TV4.

Sport Bladet met with French coach Philippe Dupont after the race, which was lyrical after Mekhissi-Benabbads victory.

– Wonderful! Extraordinary

Did you see this?

– Yes, I thought, but it was hard for him after the obstacle course and the removal of the medal, he says .

Chaos Race – four runners fell

With 400 meters left in the race snatched Mekhissi-Benabbad away. When he pressed forward on the paths he bumped into a pair of runners – and it was far from all that managed to keep the balance of the Frenchman’s rampage.

Britten Charlie Grice received several blows and fell to the end with both German Florian Orth and Ukrainian Stanislav Maslov.

The Irishman Ciaran Ó Lionáird broke the very first after he lost balance lap before Mekhissi-Benabbads jerk.

“I’m totally destroyed”

Charlie Grice was very upset afterwards.

– I was knocked down twice, I’m completely destroyed. I felt that I could have taken the medal, he says.

The favorite Henrik Ingebrigtsen from Norway also had his big problems keeping up Mekhissi-Benabbad when the runners around him fell to the right and left, but celebrates gold medalist great afterwards.

– He was the best of the day, for sure. He shrugs at absolutely the right time when the rest of us are unprepared, he says.

LikeTweet

No comments:

Post a Comment