Saturday, August 16, 2014

Meraf Bahta took gold in the 5000 meters in EM – Expressen

Zurich. Meraf Bahta took gold in the 5000 meters.
After the race she hugged their Swedish “parents”, and Mrs Ulf Björklund in the stands.

– I just shook when I met Ulf, and Bodil. I’m so happy, she tells SportExpressen.se.

– It was just a big hearty smile and a huge hug. There were three of us there, says Ulf Björklund.

Prior to EM was Meraf Bahta one of the great Swedish gold jumps together with others Abeba Aregawi .

But there Aregawi failed to defeat the Dutch Sifan Hassan succeeded Bahta.

For the final lap led Swedish and drew on for all she was worth.

Doggie Style approached Hassan nasty quickly, and the stretch it looked to be the Dutch victory.

When did Meraf Bahta until their very last strength – and took Sweden’s first European Championship gold in Zurich.

– The victory means so much to me. I feel happy and satisfied. I had complete control of the race, saying Bahta.

Did you think you would win?

– It is hard to say before the race, but it felt good in the body. I felt light, in full control, then it was just to follow the tactic.
Were you nervous?

– I tend not to be nervous, but today was the first time I was nervous before a race. I had many conversations with my coach (Ulf Friberg) about what to do before the race. I was very nervous. But when I started to warm up I felt refreshed in body.
Could you sleep at night?

– No, I could not really sleep. I figured as much on tactics, how I would do.



“Like watching a movie”

After the race went gold medalist in the arms of Ulf and Bodil Björklund.

The couple took her on his farm in western Götaland when she searched a residence permit in Sweden.

– I met my family, they were very happy and proud. They were very satisfied and happy with my race, she says.

When SportExpressen.se hits Ulf, Bodil and close friend Johnny for a while after the finish is still shaky with happiness.

– I told Johnny and Bodil it has never felt like this weird. I was as absent for the entire race. I felt like I was watching a movie. I was not really nervous because I know that she is talented and she is well trained. But then I thought, what if it’s something that happens, what if she will not meet all of our expectations and did not take a medal even said Ulf Björklund, and continues:

– So she made this huge race. It was like Johnny said, it is rarely my heart knots itself. But it did it now for both of us.
What did you do when the finish line was crossed?

– I was 10 feet above the ground and broke all world records available in high jump says Ulf.
What did Meraf when she came up to you in ärevarvet

– She was so happy. It was just a big warm smile and a huge hug. There were three of us there.
Get it through tears?

– Yes, they were quite numerous, says Bodil, and continues:

– This was not what was thought a few years ago when she was feeling like the worst and did not want to run or live. But she has struggled with school and other things. It’s totally awesome, totally amazing, that we are here today.



“I have heel shoes”

Now we will have a party to celebrate Sweden’s first gold medal in the European Championships.

– If I’m going to celebrate? Really! I have got the shoes … high shoes. How do you say? Heels! Tommy (naprapath) gave them to me this morning. And so I got a short skirt, says Meraf Bahta with a laugh.

LikeTweet

No comments:

Post a Comment